There is a number of interesting and “fun” facts surrounding survivalism. Some of them are important things to know, just in case you find yourself in a survivalist situation, while others are just plain interesting. Here are 31 of these interesting facts. You can use some of them to survive (which is the point) while you’re out in the wilderness, while you can stump your friends and loved ones with the others.
1) The earth’s surface is almost entirely covered with water. According to the most recent statistics, around 80% of it is water.
2) When you leave to go anywhere that involves heading into the woods, you need to tell at least 3 different people where you’re heading and when you’ll be back.
3) Altitude sickness tends to kick in when you’re around 8,000 feet in the air.
4) 4 drops is the amount of bleach that you need to add to 1 quart of water to make it drinkable.
5) Your emergency bag of equipment (also known as a Bug Out Bag) should contain enough items to last you up to 72 hours.
6) You can determine the air temperature by counting the number of chirps made by crickets. Count them for 15 seconds and then add 37 to that amount.
7) Military parachute cord (also known as spec cord) has a total tensile strength of 550 pounds.
8) Those MREs in your pack will stay shelf stable for around 3 years.
9) The bandana that you carry with you in your pack (and you should always have one on hand) can be tied and used over 30 different ways.
10) You need to drink 8 cups of water every day, more if it’s very hot and humid.
11) Did you know that around 66% of your body consists of water? It’s true!
12) By the time that you begin to feel thirsty and dehydrated, you’ll have lost around 1% of that water in your body.
13) If you need to treat 1 gallon of water to ensure that it’s drinkable, place 16 drops of bleach in it.
14) Your blood is made up of 83% water.
15) You can go for 30 days without food, but only if you’re in good health and don’t have any underlying conditions.
Survival Things the Pioneers Took With Them When They Traveled for Months>>>
16) Your brain is made up of water as well. 75% of it to be exact.
17) Around 70 gallons of water evaporate off of a birch tree every day.
18) Contaminated drinking water lands 4,000 U.S. residents in the hospital every year.
19) Hypothermia occurs between the temperatures of 30 and 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
20) Only around 1% of all water found on earth is clean, fresh, and good to drink.
21) The universal sign of distress involves whistle blows in sets of 3.
22) 1 whistle blast from a whistle means “where are you?”
23) You can live for 5 days without any water.
24) 2 whistle blasts on a whistle mean “Come over here.”
25) 1 carbon steel knife blade has a hardness value of between 59 and 60.
26) 3 whistle blasts signal “I need help over here.”
27) You can purify 1 liter of water with 2 iodine tablets.
28) Military parachute cord is made up of 7 strands of fiber.
29) In Morse code, 3 dots and 1 dash mean the same thing.
30) 1 single gallon of water weighs 8.35 pounds.
31) Around 9,000 meters of fabric is used in 400 Denier nylon.